10 STARS OF ORGANIC BEAUTY CARE
First published in Australian Financial Review, 27 July 2017.
We can think of little more desirable than achieving a perfect complexion au naturel. And, by that, we don't mean without assistance. We mean with help from the most glamorous or good-for-you of today's organic beauty ranges. Here are 10 skincare and cosmetic heroes to make you look good while you feel good about going chemical-free.
1. Eminence Organic Skin Care
Forget star power (yes, devotees include Jessica Biel and Mark Ruffalo) and feel the fruit-packed ingredients that make these products good enough to eat. Using organic and biodynamic farming practices, Eminence produces a wide range of botanical face and body treatments. Other green ticks: wind and solar energy, recyclable packaging and a tree-planting program (7 million to date).
- Hero product – Bamboo Firming Fluid ($109) The brand's No.1 bestseller bills itself as a natural retinol alternative, promising tighter, firmer skin in five minutes and softening of wrinkles in 28 days. With ingredients such as kakadu plum juice, bamboo leaf extract, acai and more, it's like a fruit salad in a bottle. Gel-like in texture, it has an aroma of coconut.
2. Jane Iredale
Founded in 1994, this brand was one of the first to supply the beauty industry with a line of makeup with skincare benefits. Every product in the range is multifunctional. For example, the mineral powders are a foundation, powder, concealer and sunscreen all in one. Everything is organically made and mostly vegan friendly.
- Hero product – Glow Time BB Cream ($76) It says it covers blemishes, minimises pores, disguises wrinkles and smooths and brightens skin – and it does. But best of all it adjusts to your skin tone, whether you are olive or fair, with no tide line, while an SPF25 protects against UVA and UVB. Tel: 1300 850 008.
3. RMS Beauty
Developed by celebrity makeup artist Rose-Marie Swift, products are formulated with raw, food-grade and organic ingredients in their natural state to apparently allow enzymes, vitamins, antioxidants and their healing properties to remain fully intact.
- Hero product – RMS Beauty Living Luminiser ($55) If you want a luxe glow that says a-week-at-Chiva Som Health Resort, use this. Coconut oil is the magic ingredient, delivering a subtle, healthy sheen.
With more than 95 years' experience making natural holistic remedies, Weleda was the original eco-friendly and sustainable skincare company. Ingredients are either grown in Weleda's biodynamic gardens or sourced through fair trade partnerships. The brand also carries the internationally recognised NATRUE seal of quality.
- Hero product – Weleda Skin Food (from $14.95) First formulated in 1926, this thick, rich cream is an emergency service for dry, rough skin on your face or body. It takes a few moments to sink into your skin, banishing dryness.
5. Mukti Organics
One of Australia's first skincare companies to gain certified organic accreditation, Mukti offers a blend of native Australian extracts handcrafted and formulated in-house. All products are vegan and cruelty free and some are packaged in violet-coloured glass to stop UV degradation.
- Hero product – 2-in-1 Resurfacing Exfoliant ($69.95) Gorgeously green in colour, this mix of naturally derived alpha hydroxy acids, caviar lime, desert lime, rainforest lime, jojoba and bamboo, is designed to be used two to three times a week to rejuvenate skin. It feels good and leaves your complexion fresher.
You'll find this cult brand in retailers including Harvey Nichols and Net-A-Porter. Featuring up to 85 per cent certified organic botanicals and recyclable packaging, ILIA's claim to fame is performance-driven beauty.
- Hero Product – ILIA Tinted Lip Conditioner ($37) Sheer and ultra-nourishing, the best things about this balm is that it combines on-trend colours with no nasty ingredients to pass your lips.
7. The Beauty Chef
Now carried by 121 stockists and luxury e-tailers worldwide, including Net-A-Porter and Gwyneth Paltrow's GOOP to name a few, this brand was started by Carla Oates in 2009. The organic skincare is made with a natural fermentation process designed to keep the skin's ecosystem healthy. A signature product is its GLOW Advanced Inner Beauty Powder for gut health, containing nutrient-dense micro algae from Western Australia, as are its serums.
- Hero product: Dream Repair Cellular Serum ($69) Micro algae is also the special ingredient here, designed to be soothing, anti-inflammatory and photo-protective. The serum also contains a mind-boggling array of vitamins, from A to K, and omegas. Used after a sleepless night fretting about deadlines, this serum smoothed worry lines and imparted glow.
8. Dr Hauschka
Developed by Dr Rudolf Hauschka in conjunction with Vienna-born cosmetologist Elisabeth Sigmund, Dr Hauschka's 100 per cent natural, organic products, launched in 1967, were among the first to gain a devoted following. The company, which has NATRUE certification, launched a complete makeup range with natural ingredients in 1999. Ten years later the skin care range was expanded to include medical care products.
- Hero product – Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream ($39) This gentle exfoliant is completely non-irritating, leaves no residue and deals with dull-making dead skin cells swiftly. Calendula, chamomile, St John's wort and sweet almond meal gently cleanse while minimising the appearance of pores.
9. Adorn Cosmetics
Established in 2009 by Melbourne environmental advocate and cosmetics industry veteran Briony Kennedy, Adorn Cosmetics are certified toxic free by Safe Cosmetics Australia, and certified by Choose Cruelty Free and the Vegan Society. Super long wearing, this Australian beauty icon outperforms other mineral products that use fillers, or claim to be natural but aren't.
- Hero product – Mineral MAKEUP Essentials Kit + Free Kabuki Brush ($250) Go all-mineral with a set that allows you to play with rich, natural colour and match concealer and foundation powders to your skin tone. They last all day on the skin although, for those not used to using loose minerals, it can take a little bit of extra care to apply. adorncosmetics.com.au
Co-founded in the Adelaide Hills by Dr Jurgen Klein and his wife, Ulrike, in 1985, Jurlique harnesses the power of nature through its exclusive bio-intrinsic extraction process and biodynamic farming methods.
- Hero product – Rose Hand Cream ($59) Hardworking hands need some TLC. This rich, protective cream has an appealing rose scent and is rich and restorative without being greasy.
- Published in:
- IN THE MEDIA